Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Nothing More Heroic



The title of this blog is the first part of the title to a book by R. Lanier Britsch, publised by Deseret Book Company, Salt Lake City, Utah, Copyright 1999. The rest of the title is "The Compelling Story of the First Latter-Day Saint Missionaries in India. The author includes a quote by Elder B.H. Roberts, "There is nothing more heroic in our Church annals than the labors and sufferings of these brethren of the mission to India." Chauncey West was called to be the leader of this group. A group of 13 Mormon missionaries boarded the sailing vessel Monsoon January 27, 1853.





The ship dropped anchor off Sagar Island, about 120 miles south of Calcutta on April 24th. The 2 years and 8 months on this mission were filled with severe trials and on his return on July 15, 1855, he wrote: "I cannot say that we have done any great things during our mission, but this much I can say, we have done the best that we knew how. I feel that we can say in truth that we have kept br. Amasa Lyman's counsel to the missionaries as we were on our way out; he said, 'if you can do no more, mind and save one each, this is yourselves.' I feel grateful to my Father in Heaven that my life has been spared to mingle again with the saints in these peaceful valleys, and I now report myself on hand for duty whenever the servants of God call, for the Priesthood is my law."





For the full story I highly recommend the book.



I would like to hear from you. Please let all of your relatives know of this project. My email address is: norma.buchanan@gmail.com.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Norma! Your blog is awesome! I haven't had time to read through it, but I saw this picture, and from what you have told me about it, I agree, and think a new monument would be great!

PS your hair sure looks good in this photo! :)